|Alias||The Strongest Man on Earth (地上最強の男, Chijō saikyō no otoko)|
|Rank||6 (Giant Meteor Arc)|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 13 (Cameo)|
Chapter 29 (Full appearance)
|Anime Debut||Episode 1 (Cameo)|
Episode 4 (Cameo)
Episode 10 (Full appearance)
|Japanese VA||Hiroki Yasumoto|
|English VA||Rich Brown|
King (キング, Kingu) is the S-Class Rank 7 professional hero for the Hero Association. In public, King is known as the "The Strongest Man on Earth" (地上最強の男, Chijō saikyō no otoko). King is also one of the few people that recognize Saitama's strength.
King is a tall, lean-built man with lightly tanned skin, blue eyes, and shoulder-length blonde hair that he keeps combed back, down to the nape of his neck. His notorious features are three scars straight over his left eye with sunken cheeks and a defined jawline. He wears a long sleeved black turtleneck sweater. Notably, his heartbeat can occasionally be heard.
King appears extremely calm in threatening situations, as well as put out an extremely threatening aura. He is well respected among the public and other heroes, including ones who are higher in rank like Tatsumaki.
Despite the intimidating personality King projects, he is actually a coward and an Otaku who gets very excited about buying a dating game. He is shown to be actually caring and thoughtful, but his cowardice usually steps in, which prevents him from doing anything. King would later become more brave, deciding to bluff his way in the presence of Dragon level enemies, despite wanting to run away.
Abilities and PowersEdit
Despite not being the highest ranked hero of the Hero Association, he is considered to be the most powerful man on Earth, and it is due to this strength that he receives praise and respect from fellow heroes. His strength is so feared that criminals and mysterious beings will often surrender before having to fight him. However, all these factors don't spare him from being targeted by assassins who are paid with huge sum of money by crime bosses to kill him. Fortunately, all assassins sent after him are just as delusional as normal people in term of perceiving King's false power so they often think they are targeting the formidable foe and willing to give up when King encounters them.
However, this is due to miscommunication and mistaken identity, as King's intimidating appearance and presence near defeated Mysterious Beings gave the Hero Association the false impression that he was strong. King, in reality, has never brawled before in his life meaning he is the weakest person in S-Class if not the entire Hero Association.
It should be noted that his hero title does not fail to describe his video game accomplishments to a certain degree, as he is an expert at video games and has conquered some video game tournaments in his youth. This talent later proves to be useful when King saves Saitama, who irresponsibly signed a contract without reading it and after losing a bet with Fubuki, who forcibly wanted to have Saitama and three S-Class heroes join the Blizzard Group should they win the bet, by defeating thirty gamers by himself. He is also good at writing script about video game content since he often works in creating an independent game in his weekends.
Strong Heartbeats: The "King Engine" (キングエンジン, Kingu Enjin) is a rumbling sound that others claim to occur when King readies for battle or when he is generally serious, which has a formidable impact on his opponent's psyche. In reality, it is simply the sound of King's heart beating rapidly loud from fear, anxiety or other uneasiness. Because of King's intimidation and reputation, it is mistaken for bloodlust. It is revealed in the sixth OVA that the sound made by the Engine when King is in a relaxed state is similar to a slow beating Taiko Drum. As he gets more nervous and his heartbeat rate raises, the sound becomes so fast that it reminds of a working engine .
King Style (キング流, Kingu-ryū): While his intimidating appearance and presence usually scares off potential opponents, King has to rely on this style, if his opponents aren't scared and still ready to fight. It is not a fighting style in the traditional sense. King mostly bluffs himself out of battles or just runs away. King is highly skilled in bluffing, which makes his opponents think he is formidable, sometimes even rendering them unable to perform techniques against him. His "bluffing technique" was enough to make Atomic Samurai, a high level S-Class hero, hesitate in fighting. By speaking gibberish, random words and other nonsense about non-existent atomic reactions, King was able to convice Atomic Samurai not to fight.
- King Face (キングフェイス, Kingu Feisu): King's intimidating facial expression, which scares off Villains and Mysterious Beings.
- King Hand (キングハンド, Kingu Hando):
- Ultimate Hellfire Wavemotion Cannon (煉獄無双爆熱波動砲, Rengoku Musō Bakunetsu Hadō-hō): A bluff technique of King, which he obviously doesn't know. He is simply shouting its name loudly to intimidate his opponents. It appears to be a very powerful energy blast in King's imagination. The "technique" seems to be well known within the Hero Association, as Child Emperor demanded King to use it in order to defeat the dragon level Monster Association members.
- Ultimate Fleeing Technique: Backwards B Dash (逃亡術奧義振り返りBダッシュ, Tōbō-jutsu Okugi Furikaeri Bīdasshu): King simply runs away from his opponent. Golden Sperm mistakenly took it as a kind of trap, thinking King is chanting a curse and luring him.
Master Gamer: Even though he is actually not the strongest hero, King is possibly the best gamer in the world, having won multiple gaming contests in the past. After Saitama's group was quickly wiped out in a gaming competition against the Blizzard Group, he singlehandedly took the other 30 out and won. He is shown to be an avid member in gaming and told the Hero Association that he was taking out a "monster", which was really his video game.
- King is ranked 8th in the character popularity poll.
- According to the databook:
- King recommended a book called "How I developed indomitable will", Written by ONE and illustrated by Yusuke Murata as an Easter egg.
- King is the opposite of Saitama in the sense that while Saitama does not look intimidating, but is incredibly strong; King appears threatening, but bears average human strength and has never brawled in his life before.
- ONE has said that while the most popular hero in their world is Sweet Mask, King is rather high up as well.
- When Child Emperor devises a product to measure strength, both Saitama and King are shown to be undefined.
- Rumor has it that King got his scar in a fight to the death against a God level monster, but this is proven false in a flashback, where King was scarred by a Tiger level monster called Octopus Claw Man.
- King's signature move is a reference to the Wave Motion Gun, the most powerful weapon aboard the Yamato in the classic anime series Space Battleship Yamato.
- ↑ One-Punch Man Manga; Chapter 37
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 One-Punch Man Encyclopedia; One-Punch Man: Hero Perfection, page 44-45
- ↑ One-Punch Man Manga; Chapter 32, page 12
- ↑ One-Punch Man Manga; Chapter 37, page 10
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 One-Punch Man; Original Webcomic
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 One-Punch Man Encyclopedia; One-Punch Man: Hero Perfection, page 46-47
- ↑ One-Punch Man Anime; Episode 6
- ↑ http://i.imgur.com/O9wGaPm.jpg
- ↑ One-Punch Man Manga; Numbers
- ↑ One-Punch Man Manga; Chapter 38, page 15