The Hero Association (ヒーロー協会, Hīrō Kyōkai), also known as the Superhero Society, is an organization founded by the multi-millionaire Agoni that manages all of the cities' superheroes. Agoni has also established the National Superhero Registry, the database that embraces every recognized superhero. The Association uses a class system, with 4 classes and ranks within those classes (Classes A, B, C and S), to organize every superhero accordingly. They are now opposed by the Neo Heroes.
Three years before the current storyline, the Hero Association was founded by multi-millionaire Agoni, whose grandchild was attacked by a mysterious being and saved by Saitama (with hair). After hearing what happened, Agoni came up with the idea and founded the Hero Association and the National Superhero Registry from private funds.
After the Garou incident, the organization falls under threat of replacement by the Neo Heroes. They also find themselves faced with a lot of corruption scandals regarding the illegal activities of donors, employees (example: Guichess case) as well as the fact that they tend to neglect controlling their S-class heroes, especially Tatsumaki, in term of collateral damage caused during their heroic activities. Furthermore, the rising number of losing battles between heroes and Mysterious Being has caused the public to lose their faith in the competency of the organization. Finally, some people are now aware of the dark side of the organization, in terms of some of the more arrogant, inept and violent heroes who now begin to pose a bigger threat to the organization.
National Superhero Registry
The National Superhero Registry is a database that contains the names of every officially recognized superhero. Any person not registered in the National Superhero Registry is not recognized as a hero and, as such, is always looked upon as a delusional weirdo, regardless of how many times they saved the world.
Super Hero Entrance Exam
To become an official Hero of the Hero Association, a candidate must pass an entrance exam. The entrance exam consists of two parts:
1. Fitness Test - The fitness portion of the test tests agility and physical strength. The known components of this portion of the exam included: side-to-side jumps (for 30 seconds), a 1500 meter run, weight-lifting, and squat jumps. The anime version of the fitness portion adds shot put, whack-a-mole, and punching machine components.
2. Written Test - The actual content of the written test is currently unknown, but Genos referred to both the Fitness and Written Tests as a, "...walk in the park." Genos also said of the written test that it, "is too easy to be called a test..." The written test is designed to assess the candidate's "sense of justice"; one staff member of the Association mentioned that it had an essay section.
Passing the Entrance Exam has the following actions:
- A hero is officially recognized by the Hero's Association.
- A hero is entitled to the Association's money made from donations in proportion to the tasks completed.
- An "ability" rank will be assigned based on the results of the exam (see "Classes" section, below).
- A hero will be eligible to be voted upon by the public in the hero popularity ranking.
There are four classes for Heroes, with C-Class being the weakest and S-Class being the strongest:
- S-Class, with a total of 17 heroes
- A-Class, with a total of 38 heroes
- B-Class, with a total of 101 heroes
- C-Class, with a total of 390 heroes
Thus there are a total of 546 heroes. To proceed to the next class up, a hero must be ranked #1 in their class, at which point they can choose to stay at the top of their class or start at the bottom of the next class. In some cases, such as with Genos, a hero can be put directly into a higher class if their score on the registry test is high enough. It is revealed that there is a balance between ranked heroes in which the Hero Association tries very hard to enforce since if a low ranked hero (mostly Saitama) is witnessed by people managing to defeat monsters with Demon to Dragon Disaster level, there will be imbalance in the hero members in the association. According to an official in the association, the imbalance in the hero members are more serious than Dragon Disaster monsters. As a result, it is indicated that this is the reason why Saitama has such a slow progress in climbing rank, despite being witnessed doing outrageous feats of strengths such as killing the Sea King with one blow or destroying a meteor with one hit. Another factor is type match-ups, a prime example is when Lightning Genji fought against Maiko Plasma and Electric Catfish Man, as they are electric proof, rendering his primary weapons, electric batons, useless. No matter the case, the organization is largely unaware of Saitama's god-like power and the factor of balance in hero ranking is also the reason why the Neo Heroes opposes them since they think it is unfair for the hero.